Sunday, 6 April 2008
Another bookish meme...
Stolen from Karen. I'm not tagging anyone; help yourself if you like - or not.
1. Hardcover or paperback, and why?
Hardback. They just have that solid feel. I wish all my keepers were hardback, but alas...
2. If I were to own a book shop I would call it…
Wordtryst, of course.
3. My favourite quote from a book (mention the title) is…
I have so many faves it's hard to single one out, but I really like this one from Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire: "There is no mystery. There is only paradox - the incontrovertible union of contradictory truths."
4. The author (alive or deceased) I would love to have lunch with would be ….
5. If I was going to a deserted island and could only bring one book, except the SAS survival guide, it would be…
The Bible. It pretty much covers everything. The Greek myths would be nice too, but they did specify one.
6. I would love someone to invent a bookish gadget that….
...would hold my book for me in bed and in the shower.
7. The smell of an old book reminds me of….
...my great grandmother's house. She had lots of ancient books with beautiful paintings and illustrations. And lots of cats, and chickens and ducks. And great sticky-sweet things to eat.
8. If I could be the lead character in a book (mention the title), it would be….
Hmm. This is a hard one. Maybe Isadora Wing in those Erica Jong books, for sheer hedonism and lack of inhibition.
9. The most overestimated book of all time is….
Don't kill me for this. I read Catch-22 and after all the hype I was somewhat let down.
10. I hate it when a book…
...is filled with stupid spelling, grammar and other errors. If it's really bad I can't finish the book. Happily, this happens rarely.