Sunday 13 April 2008

Optimist or Pessimist?



You Are an Optimist




You definitely see the sunny side of life, even when things aren't going so great.

And while you may not be a realist, your optimism has really improved your quality of life.

You have the energy to take charge, solve your problems, and enjoy life for what it is.

Optimists are happier and healthier - so keep thinking positive!

Are You An Optimist or Pessimist?

Thank goodness for optimism. I've been told that I "live in the clouds" by some who consider themselves realists. Been told I was crazy to leave my job. Told I'll never be able to buy property like the piece I was standing on while having one "inspirational" conversation. Told lots of things; some were even well-meaning. If I weren't the optimist I am I'd have huddled into a little ball and died.

Huh. They've been backing off a bit lately, though. Seems a publishing contract has that effect on people. Here's to all the optimists out there, particularly the writers who slog on despite all the odds, all the negativity, all the humiliation that's inherent in this business (rejections, anyone?)! Many of them are even happy doing what they do, despite all the downsides, and that joy must seriously p*** off the naysayers. I think that to be a writer one has to be an optimist where the business is concerned, even if one is pessimistic about everything else in life.

I'm not blithely optimistic about everything. Where politicians are concerned, for instance, I'm a pessimist of the worst stripe. I choose my optimisms carefully, and they haven't let me down yet.

7 comments:

kim said...

I've been thinking about this very subject much this week. I think it's funny how people agree that one should trust their gut, but when your gut goes against the grain and you trust it, suddenly everyone puts the "dreamer" mark on you, or treats you like you are naive -- pat on the head crud.

The older I get, the less time and head space I give to the unwitting insulters (they always seem to think they are just being helpful -- saving you from yourself).

somewhere in my mind Edie Brickell sings "I'm not aware of too many things, I know what I know if you know what I mean..."

Matt said...

"You're a Realist:

You don't see the glass as half empty or half full. You see what's exactly in the glass.

You never try to make a bad situation seem better than it is...
But you also never sabotage any good things you have going on.

You are brutally honest in your assessments of situations - and this always seems to help you cope."

Liane Spicer said...

Kim, the 'dreamer' label is oh so familiar... I have only the vaguest recollection of that song - but the words do resonate.

Matt, we need realists too. A world filled with dreamers would be a crazy place. Crazier, I mean.

Anonymous said...

I am a blogging pessimist and I hope that doesn't sound as bad as it should :)

I am don't want to do the test because I am not optimistic about the results.

Liane Spicer said...

akalol, you crack me up!

Anonymous said...

LOL @ akalol!

Sandra Cormier said...

I expected to be an Optimist, too, but it seems I'm a Realist.