Wednesday 19 December 2007

Late again...

I went and posted about the BlogCatalog Unite in Acts of Kindness thingummy, but did I post about my own kind deeds on the day itself, as requested? Of course not. I was just too busy. (aka_lol took up the challenge, however, and probably got roundly cussed out for his trouble.) To complicate matters, I have mixed feelings about all this public do-gooding; surely one should do one's good works quietly. I think there's even something to that effect in the Bible.

So, this is late, and it's probably not what BlogCatalog had in mind, but here goes...

Since I generally try to be kind in my everyday dealings on this earth, the promotion served to remind me that it's equally important that I be kind to myself. So here's what I did:
  • I refused to look in the mirror and criticize myself. So what if I don't see the sylph-like figure of my teens and twenties? Hell, I'm old enough to show some wear and tear, and all things considered, I'm not doing too badly.
  • I bought a bottle of Jamaican Rum Cream Liqueur, coconut flavour, for no good reason, and went home and celebrated for no good reason.
  • I counted my blessings.
  • I spent some quality time with my niece The Chicken, aka The Flibbertigibbet. She's thirteen and ditzy, loves to sail her boat, chat on the phone (duh!), and play in my hair. We kind of like each other a lot. I suspect she suspects that I never really grew up.
  • I refused to think of all the things I should be doing for Christmas. Ha.

And that was it for my be-kind-to-me day. Remember, everyone, it's important to show kindness to others, but it's equally important to be kind to oneself. Very often we treat our selves far more harshly than we would dream of treating anyone else.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am also kind to the environment so I don't even cut the grass.

Yes, we need to be kind to ourselves first or at the same time we are being kind to others otherwise we burnout and become full of unkindness.

Jamaican Rum Cream Liqueur is a form of kindness people often overlook and instead go for the less exotic brands :)

Matt said...

I think you did an awesome job, Trysty. Being kind to yourself usually creates a ripple of happiness throughout everyone in your granfalloon.


(I'm late, but I gave blood today, so that counts, right?)

Liane Spicer said...

aka_lol, I hope the bikini lady doesn't buy that excuse for not cutting the grass. :)

Thank you, Matt. Uh, granfalloon? That's a new one for me. Please enlighten. And giving blood counts big time. Good for you!

Matt said...

Ooops... I used the wrong fake word. I meant "karass" not "granfalloon."


They are Kurt Vonnegut terms:

karass
A group of people who, unbeknownst to them, are collectively doing God's will in carrying out a specific, common, task.

granfalloon
A false karass. People who identify themselves by state or country of origin or in other various ways to form a group, when in reality such people may have very little in common or even turn out to be enemies or ideological opposites. There is much granfalloonery in the world.

Liane Spicer said...

Thanks for the clarification, Matt. I'm not at all familiar with Vonnegut's work.