Sunday 19 August 2007

Ahh! A movie I can love...


Just saw Blood Diamond, and I have to say it's been a long time since I was that blown away by a movie. There were just two points where I was able to withdraw for a moment or so and be analytical/critical. I won't mention these points because I assume that there are people who have not yet seen this movie, and I abhor spoilers. Suffice it to say that although the more nit-pickety might quibble over a scene or two, the movie as a whole more than made up for them.

The Academy Awards system is a mystery. This movie wasn't even nominated for Best Picture? As for the performances of Leonardo DiCaprio and Djimon Hounsou, all I can say is that I haven't seen the movies they were competing against, but the competition must have been entirely off the charts to beat these guys out. Especially Hounsou.

A confession is in order. I never could stand Leonardo DiCaprio - I think the Titanic business biased me for life - so I never took him seriously and I've made a point of avoiding his movies. But he impressed me in Blood Diamond. I have a newfound respect for the actor.

Djimon Hounsou is my new screen idol. What a presence. What a talent. His visceral, emotional portrayal of a complex character in an extreme situation is, for me, incomparable. Although I glimpsed him in Gladiator, I hadn't seen him in a major role (shame on me - I've yet to see Amistad), but I think I'm his fan for life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I never could stand Leonardo DiCaprio - I think the Titanic business biased me for life - so I never took him seriously and I've made a point of avoiding his movies."

Whew. I thought I was the only one. I hated Titanic and got a migraine from the flashing sinking. They all annoyed me and I had no sympathy or empathy for anyone. And avoided dear Leo ever since, until I saw Catch Me if You Can and he didn't seem so bad. Looking forward to Blood Diamond. Djimon Hounsou indeed has incredible presence - as I did see Amistad this weekend.

Liane Spicer said...

Hi, chennette, thanks for dropping by. When I saw your ID I said: That's a Trini for sure. :)

Now I'm going to look for Catch Me If You Can, since I seem to be overcoming my DiCaprio antipathy.

**In case anyone reads this and wonders, Trini is the name we citizens of Trinidad give to ourselves. The correct label is Trinidadian.**